Gaming during lockdown

The pandemic has turned the past 12 months into the year of being fully online, from work to schooling, for millions of people.

Staying active during lockdown has been important, not just the physically but also mentally. Spending so much time indoors, being unable to socialise with friends or family, has affected everyone’s mental health to a greater or lesser extent.

So, staying mentally active is important, and one way to test and challenge your brain is via mobile gaming. It is very convenient because you can take it with you anywhere and has helped many of us to overcome boredom during lockdown.

From the games on laptops to games on our phones, the gaming sector has benefited from lockdown, with Japanese company Nintendo reporting a tripling of its profits. Joseph Evans, head of technology at Enders Analysis, told the BBC the pandemic gaming boom “is directly linked to people being locked down and having to social distance”.

Gaming has also become an increasingly important way for people to stay in contact with each other. Research by Oxford University, reported by The Economist, discovered that gaming during lockdown has created “a greater feeling of social connection from playing with others in the game, crucial when friends cannot meet in person, [and] also boosted their mood”.

Photo by Jessica Lewis from Pexels
Gaming has kept children entertained in lockdown
(photo by Jessica Lewis from Pexels)

People have not used games just for entertainment, but also for learning purposes. As home schooling has taken the place of classroom teaching, parents have had to find ways of making education fun.

From finding maths games to learning languages, there are many apps for mobile games to help learning. One mother from Harrow told me: “Playing maths games has helped my son enjoy learning again. It’s not fun doing work from home, but many apps are free to download and use. The apps have helped my son enjoy maths.”

Gaming has also helped children to stay in touch with the friends they cannot see in the classroom or playground. From Roblox to Among Us, group gaming is how they stay in contact.  Saharla, 11, from London, told me: “Games are so fun, especially when I haven’t seen my friends for months. I get to play with them on Among Us as well as watching YouTube with all the reviews.”

Gaming has sometimes a negative reputation, with many thinking children and young people spend too much time playing, to the point where it becomes addictive and damaging. However, the pandemic has allowed a more positive side of gaming to come to the fore.

Valentina, from London, told me: “It’s been a good way for me to occupy myself with mobile games, which are more like working out a solution.” Staying creative whilst staring at the same four walls can be incredibly hard, but Valentina says gaming has helped her to stay creative during lockdown, especially with her uni work. 

Kirsty and Rebecca, who work from home needed a way to liven up their spare time. One of the pastimes they enjoy is Snapchat Games, which you can play live with friends, as well as using the House Party app where you can video chat as well as play games.

Mobile games that are trending now include: 

Among Us 

Push Sushi 

Real Makeover 

Redecor

Dot to Dot 

Brain Puzzle